Each student will select a topic that they feel presents an ethical dilemma. Certain topics may be of a sensitive nature and somewhat subjective; therefore, if you have any questions or are struggling to identify a topic, reach out to your instructor for guidance. Each student will create/submit a PowerPoint Presentation that addressed each element identified in the assignment guidelines.
Here is a list of some topics that have been used in the past for this assignment. You can also identify your own topic.
· Same-sex parenting/adoption/surrogates
· Organ donation and transplant issues
· Stem cell transplants and cord blood banking
· Sperm and/or Egg preservation in teens (usually those diagnosed with cancer)
· Circumcision and/or female genital alterations
· Parental refusal of medical treatments due to religious or cultural beliefs (e.g. blood transfusions, medications)
· Child refusing treatment (e.g. wants to stop chemotherapy for cancer)
· Gender-neutral parenting
· Munchausen Syndrome
· End-of-Life Care/Decision-Making
· Neglect and Abuse (physical abuse, sexual abuse, starving, over demanding, drug-addicted at birth)
· Health Insurance Issues (e.g. lack of coverage, coverage denials, access to care)
· Foster care for medically needy children
· Teen seeking birth control, pregnancy care, or abortion (without parental guidance)
· Separated or divorced parents fighting during hospitalization
· Parents with HIV/AIDS having children
· Social isolation due to homeschooling or other alternate schooling options
· Behavioral health patients boarding on Pediatric Medical-Surgical units
· Dilemma description (25 points)- Identify the chosen ethical dilemma and identify the key elements (who, what, when, how, why)
· Identify the resources at the clinical agency or in the community to assist dealing with the chosen ethical dilemmas (10 points)- Identify resources available for your chosen dilemma. Identify resources available through your clinical facility and in the community (including organizations for your specific topic).
· Writing Style, APA format, Grammar/Spelling/Mechanics (5points)- All references used should be scholarly/reputable and must be cited using current edition APA format. If you need assistance with APA formatting, refer to https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html