Chapter 18 Discussion
Read the articles What is Wildlife Trafficking? by the World Conservation Society and Illegal Wildlife Trade by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and view the below videos:
READ: Wildlife Trade
Illegal wildlife trade. (n.d.) U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Retrieved from https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/illegal-wildlife-trade.html
READ: Wildlife Trafficking
What is wildlife trafficking? (n.d.) Wildlife Trade. Retrieved from https://wildlifetrade.wcs.org/Wildlife-Trade/What-is-wildlife-trafficking.aspx
Caught in the Crosshairs: Combating the Illegal Wildlife Trade in Iraq & Afghanistan TRAILER
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipNe0rnu3E
Wildlife Conservation Society. (2011, December 21). Caught in the crosshairs: Combating the illegal wildlife trade in Iraq & Afghanistan. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipNe0rnu3E
Parenthetical citation: (Wildlife Conservation Society, 2011)
Narrative citation: According to the Wildlife Conservation Society (2011), …
Inside Illegal Wildlife Trade
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rzMUhn01o
The Humane Society of the United States. (2012, October 1). Inside illegal wildlife trade. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rzMUhn01o
Parenthetical citation: (The Humane Society, 2012)
Narrative citation: According to The Humane Society (2012), …
Big Game, Big Money: Inside the illegal wildlife trade
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYrtRkGcuo
Financial Times. (2015, October 1). Big game, big money: Inside the illegal wildlife trade. [Video]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYrtRkGcuo
Parenthetical citation: (Financial Times, 2015)
Narrative citation: According to Financial Times (2015)
Using key terms and concepts from the textbook chapter, the articles, and the videos answer the following questions:
- Identify a wildlife crime that you believe is of the utmost importance in the United States. (Explain the extent of the problem.)
- Why did you choose this crime? (Conduct research on this crime and use a case example in your discussion.)
- Do you believe that law enforcement should use their limited resources to address this crime (versus crimes against persons)? Why or why not?
CITATION OF THE POWERPOINT
Swanson, C., Chamelin, N., Territo, L., & Taylor, R. (2019). Criminal investigation (12 ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Parenthetical citation: (Swanson et al., 2019)
- Write a short essay of at least 500 words. [POST YOUR WORD COUNT AT THE END OF YOUR MAIN POST.]
- Use key terms and concepts from the reading and the videos.
- Use concrete examples/details and avoid generalities.
- Address all questions.
- Use proper grammar and punctuation.
- Research your topic and use information from what you learned; remember to cite your sources.
- Do not plagiarize.