Exploring Cognitive Processes
Review the Case Study: The Ethical Dilemma at Northlake (Links to an external site.).
For this Critical Thinking Assignment, please respond to the case study in a Word document.
- Describe how virtue ethics and egoism ethical theories might be used in this scenario.
- What problems might be caused by using either of these theories?
- Explain which theory you would suggest for Frank and why.
- Can you think of another Ethical Theory that might apply?
- With Jean Letourneau, how would virtue ethics be a helpful guide?
- Describe the impact on stakeholders of Northlake (especially employees and the community).
- Your written paper should be full 5 pages in length not counting the title and reference pages, which you must include.
- Use terms, evidence, and concepts from class readings.
- You need to cite at least 5 sources for this assignment, outside of the textbook.
- Your paper must be formatted according to APA format.
- Reference: (n.d.) The ethical dilemma at Northlake. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada: University of Waterloo. Retrieved from https://uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-accounting-ethics/resources/ethics-teaching-cases/ethical-dilemma-northlake
Chapters 3, 4, & 5 in Ethics in Accounting: A Decision-Making Approach
Hurley, P. (2017). Why consequentialism’s “compelling idea” is not. Social Theory & Practice, 43(1), 29.
Pintea, M. O., & Fulop, M. T. (2015). Corporate governance – Key factor to enhance performance. Managerial Challenges of The Contemporary Society, 8(2), 116-120.
Timmermann, J. (2015). V-what’s wrong with ‘deontology’? Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (Paperback), 115(1pt1), 75-92.
Prehn, K., Korczykowski, M., Rao, H., Fang, Z., Detre, J. A., & Robertson, D. C. (2015). Neural correlates of post-conventional moral reasoning: a Voxel-based morphometry study. Plos ONE, 10(6), 1-12. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0122914
Xu, Z., & Ma, H. (2016). How can a deontological decision lead to moral behavior? The moderating role of moral identity. Journal of Business Ethics, 137(3), 537-549.
Josephson, M. (2002). Making ethical decisions. Los Angeles, CA. Josephson Institute.
Klein, G. (2016). Ethics in accounting: A decision-making approach. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.