Gun control is one of the most divisive issues in American politics today. For many, it boils down to a basic debate over priorities: the constitutional right to bear arms and protect oneself vs. an effort to reduce violence. The U.S. has the highest gun ownership rate in the world and the highest gun violence rate of any Western nation. It also has some of the loosest gun control laws. Attempts to enact moderate new gun control measures have been voted down in the Senate, due in part to the powerful political influence of gun rights groups like the National Rifle Association.
The school where teachers are armed. [Video]. (2014, December 2). CNN. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyVZUHyp3OE
Parenthetical citation: (“The School Where,” 2014)
DISCUSSION:Using key terms and concepts from the textbook chapter and videos answer the following questions:
- On what grounds did the U.S. Supreme Court strike down Washington D.C.’s handgun ban? Do you agree or disagree with the decision?
- How accurate is this statement: “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” (Write a logical argument based on substantive claims, sound reasoning, and relevant evidence.)
- Should Miami-Dade County teachers (elementary, middle, high school and/or college) be allowed to carry arms? Why or why not?
Note: If you use statistics to support your position, be sure to use scholarly sources versus popular sources (e.g., advocacy, opinion or perspective based, anecdotal experiences).
Make sure to:
- Write a short essay or paragraph of at least 500 words. [POST YOUR WORD COUNT AT THE END OF YOUR MAIN POST.]
- Use key terms and concepts from the reading. ATTACHED BELOW
- Use concrete examples/details and avoid generalities.
- Address all questions.
- Use proper grammar and punctuation.
- If you researched your topic and are using information from what you learned, remember to cite your sources.
- Do not plagiarize.
References: For the book which is the powerpoint.
Worrall, J. L. (2015). Crime control in America (3 ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
In-text citation: (Worrall, 2015)