In this assignment, you are to critically read and evaluate a scholarly article’s strengths, weaknesses, and contributions to the study field. Learning how to critique a journal article has several benefits, including preparing you for publishing in the future and keeping you current on the literature in your field of study. The practical application is developing the ability to look at research within your organization and industry with a knowledgeable, critical eye.
The University of the Cumberlands (UC) Library subscribes to many journals and provides you access to appropriate collections to support this assignment. Using the UC Library, locate and review the following peer-reviewed articles:
Flory, J. A., Leibbrandt, A., Rott, C., & Stoddard, O. (2021). Increasing Workplace Diversity Evidence from a Recruiting Experiment at a Fortune 500 Company. Journal of Human Resources, 56(1), 73-92.
Hill, A. J., & Jones, D. B. (2020). The Impacts of Performance Pay on Teacher Effectiveness and Retention Does Teacher Gender Matter?. Journal of Human Resources, 55(1), 349-385.
Doris, A., O’Neill, D., & Sweetman, O. (2020). Does Reducing Unemployment Benefits During a Recession Reduce Youth Unemployment? Evidence from a 50 Percent Cut in Unemployment Assistance. Journal of Human Resources, 55(3), 902-925.
Kawano, L., & LaLumia, S. (2017). How Income Changes During Unemployment Evidence from Tax Return Data. Journal of Human Resources, 52(2), 418-456.
Banerjee, S., & Blau, D. (2016). Employment Trends by Age in the United States Why Are Older Workers Different?. Journal of Human Resources, 51(1), 163-199.
Aizer, A., Stroud, L., & Buka, S. (2016). Maternal stress and child outcomes: Evidence from siblings. Journal of Human Resources, 51(3), 523-555.
Following your review, choose one article from this list; critically evaluate the article’s strengths, weaknesses, and contribution to the study field using the outline below as a guide: Cover page
- The cover page will include:
- Articles Title and Author (s)
- Name of Journal (s)
- Date of publication
- Your name
- Summarize the significant aspects of the entire article, including:
- The overall purpose and general area of study of the article.
- The specific problem being addressed in the study.
- The main findings of the article.
- Briefly summarize the overall themes presented in the Literature Review.
- Was the literature review applicable to the study, current and thorough?
- Were there gaps in the literature review?
- Identify the methodology used: qualitative, quantitative, mixed? Was the chosen methodology appropriate for the study? Why or why not?
- Did the data analysis prove or disprove the research questions? Explain.
- In this section, you will address the following:
- Describe the article’s relevance to the field of knowledge.
- Outline the strengths and weaknesses of the article. Be specific.
- Based on the article, what future research do you think needs to be accomplished in this area?
- What are your key points and takeaways after analyzing the article?
Proper APA in-text citation must be used. The review is to be word-processed double spaced, not less than two pages, and no more than five pages in length. Paper length does not include the cover page, abstract, or references