Module 7 Assignment
Cultural Interview Assignment
Interview someone from a different culture. You will create a PowerPoint presentation of your findings.
For this assignment, you will Interview a client whose culture is different from yours. The client can be a patient, neighbor, grandparent, in-law, or friend. Do not use your parent, brother, sister, spouse, or significant other. This interview is the basis of your paper. Use the Organizing Framework (12 boxes in Chapter 2) to guide your interview.
Interview your selected person on three or four domains of the model. Complete a literature review of the cultural group from which your interviewee comes. Compare and contrast data obtained from your interview with what you find in the literature. Provide at least two recommendations for clinical practice, two recommendations for research, and two recommendations for the health-care organization on this cultural group; be specific in your recommendations. Value of this exercise to your current or future practice.
Expert Solution Preview
The Cultural Interview Assignment is an opportunity for medical college students to engage with individuals from different cultures and gain a deeper understanding of cultural influences on healthcare. In this assignment, students are required to conduct an interview with someone from a different cultural background and create a PowerPoint presentation based on their findings. The purpose of this assignment is to encourage students to explore various aspects of cultural diversity and its impact on healthcare practices.
Answer to the content:
To successfully complete the Cultural Interview Assignment, students should follow these guidelines:
1. Select an Interviewee: Choose someone from a different cultural background than your own. This can be a patient, neighbor, grandparent, in-law, or friend. Avoid selecting immediate family members or close relatives to ensure objectivity and a diverse perspective.
2. Conduct the Interview: Use the Organizing Framework, consisting of 12 boxes outlined in Chapter 2, to guide your interview. Focus on three or four domains of the model. Ensure that the questions asked are insightful and encourage the interviewee to share their experiences and insights related to their cultural background.
3. Literature Review: After the interview, conduct a literature review on the cultural group to which your interviewee belongs. Explore academic journals, scholarly articles, books, or reputable online sources to gather information about the cultural practices, beliefs, and healthcare challenges faced by this group.
4. Compare and Contrast: Compare the data obtained from the interview with the information gathered from the literature review. Identify similarities, differences, and any unique perspectives that may have emerged during the interview. Analyze how cultural factors influence healthcare practices and patient experiences within this specific cultural group.
5. Recommendations: Provide at least two recommendations for clinical practice, research, and healthcare organizations based on your interview findings and literature review. Ensure that your recommendations are specific, practical, and relevant to addressing the needs and challenges faced by this cultural group in healthcare settings.
6. Value to Practice: Reflect on the value of this exercise to your current or future medical practice. Consider how understanding cultural diversity and its impact on healthcare can enhance patient-centered care, improve communication and rapport with patients, and contribute to more effective treatment outcomes.
By completing this assignment, students will develop a deeper appreciation for cultural diversity and its influence on healthcare practices. They will also gain valuable insights and recommendations for addressing the needs and challenges of different cultural groups in medical settings, contributing to their overall competency as future healthcare professionals.