Qualitative research offers a different set of processes to explore phenomena of interest to nursing, compared to quantitative processes. Both are necessary to advance the profession of nursing. To learn why, discuss how the steps in the research process are different between quantitative and qualitative studies. You should include the following:
- Select 2 key differences between qualitative and quantitative research and describe. Use examples when possible to illustrate.
- Are there terms used in quantitative processes that are not used in qualitative processes, and vice versa?
- How is qualitative research used in evidence-based practice?
- Select a topic of clinical interest to you. It should be very broad in nature (e.g., cancer pain, psychiatric inpatient anxiety, etc.). Conduct a literature search to select 3 research reports: one using a quantitative approach, one using a qualitative approach, and one using a mixed methods approach to study the selected topic. In your own words, summarize the differences. Describe how you would determine if these studies could be applied to your clinical practice.
- Attach the following 3 documents as PDFs to your initial post: mixed method report, quantitative report, and qualitative report.
Minimum of 2 pages