The IRB process is one that both doctoral learners and seasoned researchers encounter. The process serves in part to assure the protection of human subjects in research by documenting and evaluating the ethical considerations of the research study. Doctoral learners are required to submit approved dissertation proposals for institutional review. In this assignment, you will create a draft of the IRB documentation for your research study.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Locate the IRB Research Center on the DC Network at https://dc.gcu.edu/irb/
- Carefully review all information in “Steps to Prepare and Submit an IRB Application” paying specific attention to Step 2, “Get Started with IRB and Video Tutorials.” This step includes general information regarding IRB and specific information regarding the required documents, roles and responsibilities of researchers, and the critical link, “Learner and Instructor Videos – Get Started with iRIS” that leads to several informative videos.
- Locate the most current draft of your dissertation proposal.
- Refer to directions in the Student Success Center for the submission of multiple documents.
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Review “Getting Started with IRB.”
Collaborate with your dissertation chair to create a list of the documents and forms you will need to submit for your IRB application. In addition to your dissertation research proposal, required forms and supporting documents may include but are not limited to the following:
- IRB Application Form
- CITI Training Completion Reports
- Site Authorization Letter
- Conflict of Interest Form
- Confidentiality Statement
- Informed Consent Documents
- Recruiting Materials
- Copies of surveys, instruments, interview questions, or measures
- Permission letter(s) or email(s) to use the surveys or instruments
Complete the required IRB forms and prepare the supporting documents determined necessary during collaboration with your dissertation chair. Items such as site approvals or specific permission letters may be excluded if they have not been secured.
Submit the most recent version of your dissertation research proposal, the list of documents and forms needed, the completed IRB forms, and the prepared supporting documents to the assignment drop box for instructor review.