Topic: Public Health Promotion Project Plan Assignment Criteria:Choose one of the following target group areas and a health focus area from the table below (for example target group youth, focus area suicide)*Target groupHealth issueChildren and Adults
Mandatory reporting of child abuse/domestic violence
Youth/teenagers (middle/upper school age)Suicide, alcohol usePrisonersMental health, illicit drug usePeople who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex (LGBTI)Sexual health, mental healthPeople identified 40 years and older
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
*Be specific about your target group in your project: actual age/s, gender/s, location Prepare a detailed and innovative health promotion project plan for your chosen target group and health issue in an Australian community (Indigenous or non-Indigenous). This needs to be your innovative idea, not reused from a current or past health promotion project. Make sure you follow the outlined 8 assessment criteria. The health promotion project plan should be in the form of one of the following:
- Education on risk factor awareness and/or prevention
- Health management (such as how to manage hypertension to prevent stroke)
Your health promotion plan should address the following criteria:
- A description of your specific target group and community (for example Children (5-11years) not meeting physical activity recommendations in Palmerston Primary School or adult males (indigenous and/or non-indigenous) who are obese aged 50 years or above in Bendigo, nursing students at CDU). This contributes to making your health promotion innovative and focussed.
- A detailed outline of why this public health promotion is beneficial for your target group. For example how you anticipate it will improve health outcomes for the chosen target group/community. Include health data/statistics to back up this as a health concern, such as burden of disease.
- A description of what your goals/ aims for your health promotion are and what the health promotion project is aiming to achieve (review the SMART mnemonic on page 215 of the set text Fleming & Parker, 2015 Introduction to Public Health, 3E).
- You should identify which of the Public Health Promotion Management Perspectives this falls into and briefly outline why it falls into this category (Public Health Promotion Management Perspectives are classified as primary, secondary or tertiary- to find out more about this refer to page 316 of the set text Fleming & Parker, 2015 Introduction to Public Health, 3E)
- Identify who the additional stakeholders will be for the project, and what community consultation will take place. Include specific information on who this health promotion project will need to include and why.
- Present a specific and original health message/ logo that you have developed to suit your health promotion (for example: Your smoking harms others or If you can play you can play). Make sure this would be appropriate for your target group.
- Provide a detailed outline of what the health promotion activity will entail and how you will promote this to the target group. Look at other health promotion activities for ideas such as the Breast Cancer Mother’s Day Classic Fun Run or the posters you see around the community. Consider what sort of resources will work to get the message out to your target group such as newspapers, sports event, school visit, radio- what will work for your target audience)
- An outline of how you plan to evaluate the success of your health promotion. Evaluation is an important step, research to find the best way to assess if your health promotion would be successful in achieving its aims/goals.
**This is not medical surgical nursing- it is health promotion aimed at the community level- so please do not focus on pathophysiology.Any health statistics used for your assignment can be based on the overall Australian population (you may not find data for a specific suburb or target group). Preparation:
- Timely completion of study materials, you should have covered Topics 1-6 before commencing this assessment as information pertaining to the above criteria can be found in the learning materials
- Review the NUR329 Assessment 2 YouTube, there is a link in Learnline or you can access the NUR329 YouTube channel here:
- Visit the AIHW web site and set text (both Fleming & Parker’s 2015, Introduction to Public Health and AIHW, Australia’s Health 2018)
- Conduct further research using library resources, there is a NUR329 libguide, see the link in the unit and review other websites and journal articles.
- Please contact your unit coordinator if you are unsure of how to get started.
- A template has been provided and this is optional to use, you may use a different template or design your own presentation style. NUR329 Assignment 2 Template.docx NUR329 Assignment 2 Template.docx – Alternative Formats
- Adhere to standard academic writing and paragraphs, if you are not sure what we mean by this look at the resources provided on the CDU web: Introduction to academic writing http://learnline.cdu.edu.au/studyskills/studyskills/introacademicwriting.html
- Headings are okay to use.
- Use 11 or 12pt font either calibri or arial preferred.
- Ensure you have a footer with page numbers and your student name/number
- Reference list at end of document using APA style, with at least 9-10 references used including research articles (reference does not contribute to word count).
- Use third person (no I or me) in academic writing and write as if this is something you intend to do (i.e.: The health promotion aims to….)
- Submit your assignment via the Safe Assignment link provided in Learnline.
- A draft submission site is available to you for use prior to final submission. The site allows you to check your work for any poor paraphrasing and potential plagiarism.
- Word documents only to be submitted- no PDF or files/zip files.