Week 6 – Assignment: Evaluate Constitutional Powers of the Executive Branch in Budgetary Processes
For this assignment, you will work to balance the federal budget of the United States by making policy decisions in the Fiscal Ship simulation. Evaluate the budgetary impacts of your policy choices. Submit an annotated PowerPoint Presentation describing the federal budget process, and reflecting on the lessons learned from the simulation. Incorporate appropriate animations, transitions, and graphics as well as speaker notes for each slide. The speaker notes may be comprised of brief paragraphs or bulleted lists and should cite material appropriately.
Listed below are the instructions for the Fiscal Ship Simulation:
- Begin the simulation by launching the Fiscal Ship Simulation (included in the resources section for this week).
- Click “New Game”, enter a unique Username.
- Select three Personal Goals from the list of 10 Governing Goals.
- Make selections from each bundle of policy choices until you have met your three Personal Goals.
- Review and select policy choices; then, read the explanations and arguments for and against those choices to build a well-rounded perspective.
- Scroll through all 17 bundles so you have the chance to enact all of the policies that will help you reach your goals. (Note: You also have the option of removing a Personal Goal.)
- Remember, your grade in the course does not depend on how well you do in the simulation.
- Click the Submit/Finalize button at the bottom of the screen, when you are done making decisions, to view the impacts of your policies, the biggest revenue raisers, and spending cuts.
- View other reports such as View Your Results on Other Goals, and View My Plan.
- Print or make a PDF of the My Plan document before you leave the simulation, by clicking the print icon in the upper right of the screen.
Be sure to incorporate the readings and the simulation experience to develop a presentation for your government entity that evaluates the impacts of governing goals and policy choices on budgets.
Be sure your presentation addresses the following:
- Explain your objectives in the simulation
- Describe the policy choices made and the results which you obtained.
- Reflect on the trade-offs, priorities, and challenges.
- Provide outlook on the impact of debt and deficits.
- Provide specific examples where appropriate.
Length: 12-15 slides (with a separate reference slide)
Notes Length: 200-350 words for each slide
References: Include a minimum of 3 scholarly resources.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards, and adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy
Week 7 – Assignment: Create a Multi-Year Strategic Financial Plan for a Governmental Entity
For your signature assignment, based upon the completed assignments for this course, you will prepare a comprehensive strategic plan for your selected department or governmental entity.
Be sure to include the following in your strategic plan:
- Identify your leadership vision for the plan.
- Explain four or more goals that your plan is designed to achieve.
- Describe three or more objectives for each goal.
- Suggest measurable outcomes and tactics that ensure accountability, transparency, and ethical decision-making for each objective.
- Describe the organization of key governmental positions or roles needed.
- Explain the inter-relationships between goals, objectives, and related agencies or departments.
- Include financial assumptions and/or options, management controls, ethical standards, and performance evaluation guidelines.
- Include your perspective on challenges and risks.
- Conclude with a summary of the call to action, explaining the commitments, factors, and resources needed to succeed.
Length: Submit a 12 to 15-page paper (not including title and reference pages) with visuals and numeric artifacts you deem necessary, such as spreadsheets and charts. Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic.
References: Include a minimum of 5 scholarly resources.
The completed assignment should address all of the assignment requirements, exhibit evidence of concept knowledge, and demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the content presented in the course. The writing should integrate scholarly resources, reflect academic expectations and current APA standards, and adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.