You are the director for the Office of Emergency Management in Pleasantville City, U.S.A. and the mayor has requested that you present the latest emergency operations plan (EOP) at the next council meeting. City officials are concerned about being able to respond to a major earthquake because the neighboring city of Blissville was recently hit by an earthquake and they were not prepared.
This is a critical presentation because you have asked for a significant increase in your EOC budget. For your presentation, outline an EOP for an earthquake that includes the following information.
- Executive Summary
- Introduction and Overview of the Environment
- Emergency Management Elements
- Community Plan
- Response Plan
- Communications Plan
- Support Documents
- Emergency Call Lists
- Resource Lists
In the presentation, analyze the potential magnitude that an earthquake can have on a city, and the resources required to meet the response demands, including federal, state, and local first responders, secondary responders, as well as 3 or more community resources. Also identify vulnerable populations within your community such as nursing homes, schools, etc.
Evaluate the potential response to the incident, assessing the effectiveness of federal, state, and local first responders, secondary responders, as well as 3 or more community resources required to meet the response demands.
Your presentation should be 15-20 slides in length (excluding title slide and references slide).
This assignment will require outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the resources used. You may consult the Purdue Global Library, the internet, the textbook, other course material, and any other outside resources in supporting your task, using proper citations in APA style.
- Your 15-20 slide requirement is excluding your title, introduction, and reference slides.
- Use one basic slide design and layout.
- Text large enough to be read by your audience (font size 20-34 point).
- Limit slides to between 6 and 8 lines of content.
- You may use pictures, charts and graphs to supplement your material as long as they do not take up the entire slide
- Use bullets for your main points.
- Use speaker notes to fully explain what is being discussed in the bullet points as though you are presenting to an audience, being sure to follow the Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained.
- The presentation should be well ordered, logical and unified, as well as original and insightful.
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- Appropriate citation style should be followed
You should also make sure to:
- Use examples to support your discussion
Cite all sources on a separate reference slide at the end of your PowerPoint and reference and cite within the body of the presentation using APA format and citation style. For more information on APA guidelines, visit Academic Tools.