Your organization’s workforce development advisory panel is made up of senior executives from four groups (space, engineering, marketing, and technology). The panel has directed you to design and implement a succession plan for all senior management roles.
Senior management roles supervise middle management divisions within each of the four areas.
- The space group has three: sensors, platform and engines.
- Engineering has mechanical, civil, and electronic.
- Marketing has operations and research.
- Technology only has cloud and network.
No retirements or departures are currently expected, but there is concern that the space group could have departures based on current intensive market competition that has major compensation packages being offered to prospective employees. In your responses, please consider the following for your succession plan design:
- All succession should be internal.
- Should succession be internally competitive, by panel direction, or by CEO discretion?
- What other considerations should be used in the succession planning?
- Church, A. H. (2014). Succession planning 2.0: Building bench through better execution. Strategic HR Review, 13(6), 233–242.
- Harrell, E. (2016). Succession planning: What the research says. Harvard Business Review, 94(12), 70–74.
- Jones, D. (2015). Agile succession planning. Training Journal, 15–18.
- Sims, D. M. (2014). 5 ways to increase success in succession planning. Talent Development, 68(8), 60–65.
- Succession planning: Building leaders. (2014). Trustee, 67(9), A1–A2.
- Timms, M. (2017). Top do’s and don’ts of succession planning. Public Management, 99(3), 24–25.
Use the Capella library to select three articles to read from the following on leadership development programs:
- Gurdjian, P., Halbeisen, T., & Lane, K. (2014). Why leadership development programs fail. Mckinsey Quarterly, (1), 121–126.
- Gusain, N. (2017). Talent acquisition vs development: With a focus on leadership development programs. Cornell HR Review, 1–4.
- King, E., & Nesbit, P. (2015). Collusion with denial: Leadership development and its evaluation. The Journal of Management Development, 34(2), 134–152.
- Monarth, H. (2015, January 22). Evaluate your leadership development program. Harvard Business Review Digital Articles, 2–4.
- Samani, M., & Thomas, R. J. (2017, January 11). Your leadership development program needs an overhaul. HR News, 2–5.
- Wolper, J. (2016). Tackling leadership development. Talent Development, 70(12), 64–65.